MISSION AND PROGRAMS
Moving Policy and Practice... Dance/NYC's mission is to promote the knowledge, appreciation, practice, and performance of dance in the metropolitan New York City area. It embeds values of equity and inclusion into all aspects of the organization. It works in alliance with Dance/USA, the national service organization for professional dance.
• 5,000+ individual dance artists
• 1,200+ dance-making entities
• 500+ nonprofit dance companies
• General public and visitors to NYC
• Students and educators
• Government and civic leaders and researchers
"Our field's voice at the table–every table!"
"Foundation for...funding, advocacy and awareness building."
Dance/NYC is committed to effective case building grounded in research. It is the only entity with a substantive history of research on NYC Dance — from the Economic Impact of Dance in New York City to recent State of NYC Dance reports based on New York State Cultural Data project data — and the only one with the authority to speak on behalf of the entire field. Through research, Dance/NYC guides strategic policy and fund development and improves management practice.
“[Dance/NYC] spotlights the important and significant role of dance in NYC’s creative economy. The study presents benchmarks and a methodology that may be used by other art forms and the arts field as a whole as they track and measure the economic impact of the arts, culture, and heritage activities. A data-driven foundation is critical.”
/ Lisa Robb, Executive Director, New York State Council on the Arts
"Bringing people together [and] brokering solutions."
Dance/NYC is amplifying its role as a convener, connecting and educating its constituents and strengthening the collective voice for dance. Regular leadership training and professional development initiatives include: an annual Symposium, the only full-day gathering in the metropolitan area; regular Town Halls and roundtable discussions focused on emerging field developments; and the Junior Committee of dance workers under 30, which serves as Dance/NYC's liaison to this core demographic and builds its leaders.
Dance Service Technology
Central to the success of each Dance/NYC program area is continued investment in the organization’s online presence and public communications. DanceNYC.org (and Dance/NYC.nyc), which relaunched in 2014, is the “go to” site for dance promotional and management resources and positions Dance/NYC for leadership in service technology.
Additional organizational initiatives include:
• NEW YORKERS FOR DANCE, a dynamic visibility campaign featuring personal statements from leading New Yorkers on why dance matters to the City.
• Disability. Dance. Artistry, an initiative to increase inclusion and access to the art form for disabled people.
• NYC Dance Response Fund, established by the Mertz Gilmore Foundation to address needs following Sandy.
• Partnership Activity, including the New York Dance and Performance Awards (the Bessies).