Thursday, January 10, 2019
Assistant Facility Manger
Assistant Facility Manager
Reports to: Facilities Manager
Founded in 1980, the Mark Morris Dance Group is a 20-member dance company headquartered at the Mark Morris Dance Center located in the Downtown Brooklyn Cultural District in Fort Greene, Brooklyn. Opened in September 2001, the Dance Center is home to the Mark Morris Dance Group, a thriving School, Studio Rental program and Wellness Center. The Dance Center is a bustling community-oriented space that serves over 4,000 people per week operating more than 12 hours a day. In the next 6 months, the Mark Morris Dance Center will be providing greater access to all its programs with the addition of 3 new studios. The Assistant Facility Manager role is a new position created to support dance center operations in anticipation of this studio expansion and expanded programming.
This full-time position reports to the Facility Manager and shares oversight of a 4-member Facilities Team. The Assistant Facility Manager also works closely with the Operations Manager and all program directors to ensure that Dance Center operations run smoothly and with the highest standards of facilities care and management.
The ideal candidate will have strong supervisory skills, excellent team leadership and a basic knowledge of facilities and custodial duties, including HVAC, electrical, plumbing, cleaning chemical management and safety & security. The ideal candidate will positively, professionally and constructively improve the Facility operation by encouraging team cohesion and morale along with reinforcing the policies and procedures. The successful candidate will join a community of dedicated arts professionals who are propelled by Mark Morris’ commitment to artistic excellence and access to the arts and the impact that arts have in connecting and engaging communities. In our daily work, we are proactive, detail-oriented, and passionately interested in exceeding past success. We collectively strive to foster an environment where we are present, accountable, and supportive.
RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
Assume the Facilities Manager duties and responsibilities in the absence of the Facilities Manager
· Assist with implementing facility policies and procedures
· Assist with compliance monitoring and record keeping for all building systems including but not limited to HVAC, boiler, elevator, plumbing, lighting, Department of Buildings and FDNY permits, inspections and violations
Collaborate with Operations team on projects and problem solve as necessary
Building Maintenance – In conjunction with Facility Manager:
Manage daily facilities inspections to identify, monitor and track new and ongoing issues throughout the Dance Center; assign tasks and perform as needed
Supervise reconfiguration of building spaces including offices, storage, and studios
Assist with the care and maintenance of the facilities mechanical systems (HVAC, plumbing, electrical, fire alarm, etc.) and public, office, and storage areas
Manage the purchasing and inventory control of building cleaning and maintenance supplies
Ensure Facility Team is set up for success and that they have the resources, information, tools and uniforms required to succeed
Perform cleaning and maintenance tasks when necessary
Maintain awareness of emergency operating procedures and act on such situations if other management is unavailable
Maintain security systems and procedures and enforce them through day to day coordination with the front desk and administrative staff
Participate in the development and monitoring of safety activities as appropriate
Serve as Building Safety Engineer when needed
Manage and schedule all day and evening part-time facilities staff (4ppl)
Ensure efficient day-to-day operations of the facilities team including delegating tasks, assessing task completion and providing effective feedback
Create a positive environment that encourages staff to complete assigned tasks efficiently, effectively, and with a focused attention to detail
· Assist with the exploration and implementation of new training, certifications, and professional development opportunties for staff
Work with Facility Manager to document day-to-day personnel issues and support constructive conflict resolution
3+ years of supervisory experience in Facilities/Building Management
Knowledge of carpentry, electrical, plumbing, painting, and floor maintenance
Knowledge of cleaning chemicals and supplies and familiarity with Material Safety Data Sheets
Ability to foster teamwork
Working knowledge of Word, Excel, and Outlook
Experience working with HVAC Building Management Systems
Possess/acquire all fire department certifications necessary to the building operation
· Able to understand and follow written and oral instructions in English. Spanish a plus.
· Must be able to lift, push, pull, hold, and/or carry objects and equipment weighing 25-50 lbs. on a frequent basis. Must be able to climb stairs. Must be able to stand for up to 4 hours at a time on a frequent basis. Must be able to stoop, kneel, crouch, and/or crawl frequently throughout the day.
· Regular schedule will be Tuesday thru Friday 3 pm to 11 pm & Saturdays 12 pm to 8 pm.
· Flexibility to cover open shifts and work extended hours for events is required
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
· Annual Salary: $35,000 - $45,000
· Paid vacation, sick/personal leave, holidays
· Comprehensive benefits package includes: Employee Health and Life insurance covered 100%, Flexible Spending Plan, Voluntary vision and dental coverage, Pre-tax Commuter benefit and 403(b) retirement plan
· Access to the Wellness Center (MMDG’s on-site exercise facility), free dance classes for you and your family (adults and kids), subsidized studio rental rates at the Dance Center
· Résumé and cover letter outlining your professional experience
· Indicate Assistant Facility Manager on the subject line of email
· Applications in electronic format accepted at firstname.lastname@example.org
· Incomplete submissions will not be considered. No calls please.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a diverse workforce and do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, or veteran status.
Founded in 1980, the Mark Morris Dance Group is an 18-member dance company headquartered at the Mark Morris Dance Center in Fort Greene, Brooklyn. The Mark Morris Dance Center, opened in September 2001, is home to the Mark Morris Dance Group, The School, a Studio Rental program and a Wellness Center. The Dance Center provides 160 weekly classes serving 1,800 children ages 18 months – 18 years. The Adult Program serves approximately 1000 students per week through a variety of classes, workshops, master classes, and intensives. MMDG’s Community Education Programs serve the greater New York City area working with NYC Department of Education public and charter schools and community centers that serve NYC Housing Authority, seniors, and special needs populations among others. The Mark Morris Dance Group provides affordable rental space to the New York City arts community at the Dance Center through it’s Subsidized Rehearsal Space Program. With 7 column-free dance studios (including the 3,600-square foot James and Martha Duffy Performance Space) as well as a conference room, lounge and terrace, the Dance Center provides rental space to artists and community groups for a multitude of uses, from workshops and auditions to performances. MMDG also rents space to medical and bodywork practitioners and fitness instructors in its Wellness Center, a private treatment and exercise facility at the Dance Center.
Mark Morris Dance Group
3 Lafayette Avenue
Brooklyn, New York, 11217
For more information: