Friday, February 14, 2020
Front Desk Associate - Mark Morris Dance Group
Company: Mark Morris Dance Group
Location: Brooklyn, NY, NY
The Mark Morris Dance Center is seeking a Front Desk Associate to join its 6-member team. Front Desk Associates are vital front-line ambassadors whose primary responsibility is to serve as the first point of contact for all incoming calls and visitors to the Dance Center. Our vibrant, bustling Dance Center with 9 dance studios, welcomes over 5,000 visitors each week of all ages and abilities. A successful candidate will be a personable, patient, and adaptable team player focused on providing a high standard of customer service in support of all Dance Center Staff and Programs. This is a part-time, 20 hours minimum per week position reporting to the Front Desk Manager.
The Front Desk Associate will join a community of dedicated arts and administrative professionals who are propelled by Mark Morris’ commitment to artistic excellence, access to the arts, and the impact that arts have in connecting and engaging communities. Our core values include celebrating our diverse community, pursuing excellence in all that we do, advancing access, exposure and opportunity to dance and music, and cultivating creativity.
• Answer general in-person questions about MMDG and all related programing
• Ensure all students, renters, visitors, staff, faculty, contractors, and Wellness Center clients check in upon arrival
• Answer phones and forward calls as necessary
• Serve as a liaison between students, renters and administrative staff
• Uphold and enforce lobby and studio policies
• Support rental operations, booking rehearsal space and processing payments
• Work with the facilities team to respond to requests from studio users regarding temperature, resources, and equipment
• Oversee Adult Program class check-in and manage class capacity using MindBody software
• Work as part of the Education team to manage Parent/Toddler and Children & Teens registration using Active software
• Support Operations team in training and supervising Work/Study
• Provide special event support, greeting and directing guests and managing event capacity as needed
• Accept incoming mail and packages to the Dance Center
• Maintain presentable appearance of the Front Desk area
• Serve as fire safety personnel and help manage emergency response for the Dance Center
• Create and submit incident reports for medical emergencies and any other safety related issues
• Open and close the building (depending on schedule)
• Attend a mandatory monthly Front Desk Meeting to receive updates and ongoing training, provide feedback, advocate for constituent needs, and collaborate with the Operations team to help resolve outstanding issues
YOU WILL BE SUCCESSFUL IN THIS ROLE IF YOU:
• Are an active listener and solution oriented – you understand the importance of creative problem solving to anticipate the needs of our diverse community. You can display maturity and composure under pressure and adaptable to change.
• Are a people person – you are responsible for embodying our core values when communicating with parents/students of all ages who are interested in any number of the vast programming we have to offer.
• Are a stickler for detail – as the first point of contact for the organization, you must have excellent written and verbal communication skills (English required, additional languages a plus); providing information concisely.
• Are a team player – you take ownership for the responsibilities you hold while also collaborating with your coworkers and providing support when needed.
• At least 2 years of customer service experience
• Ability to commit to a regular weekly schedule with some flexibility as needed; Saturday availability required
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite/Google Drive; Experience working with MindBody, EMS, Authorize.net, and/or Active is a plus
• Willingness to complete Fire Guard Certification test and basic First Aid/CPR training
• Are knowledgeable about the dance field and have an interest in working with our Dance Center community made up of children, adults, and seniors, with and without disabilities.
• Supervisory experience a plus
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
• $15 per hour
• Paid vacation, sick/personal leave, holidays and bonus days
• Pre-tax Commuter benefit
• Access to the Wellness Center (MMDG’s on-site exercise facility), free dance classes for you and your family, and subsidized studio rental rates at the Dance Center
• Applications accepted through our website – www.mmdg.org/jobs
• You will be asked to submit the following as part of your online application:
o 1-page Cover Letter
o Complete résumé highlighting relevant experience
o Schedule availability
• Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.
• Incomplete submissions will not be considered.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a diverse workforce and do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, or veteran status.
The internationally renowned Mark Morris Dance Group (MMDG) has received “highest praise for their technical aplomb, their musicality, and their sheer human authenticity.” (Bloomberg News). Founded in 1980, the Dance Group performs the repertory of choreographer Mark Morris, hailed as the “the most successful and influential choreographer alive, and indisputably the most musical” (The New York Times), whose work is acclaimed for its ingenuity, musicality, wit, and humanity. Live music and community engagement are vital components of the Dance Group. It has toured with its own musicians, the MMDG Music Ensemble, since 1996, and regularly collaborates with orchestras and opera companies around the world. In addition to 20 full-time dancers, the organization employs 45 full-time staff, and more than 125 part-time staff, teaching artists, and musicians.
In the heart of the Brooklyn Cultural District, the Mark Morris Dance Center, founded in 2001, is the hub of dance and music education in Brooklyn. The nine-studio building provides affordable classes in multiple genres for people of all ages, levels, with and without disabilities, accompanied by live music. The studios, a performance space, a Wellness Center, and ancillary spaces are all available to the community and to nonprofit organizations at subsidized rates. MMDG’s Community Education Programs partner with public and private schools and community centers to provide customized classes. MMDG also offers customized dance workshops for persons with Parkinson’s disease and their caregivers in 10 locations in all 5 boroughs.
MMDG programs in NYC and worldwide engage 85,000 people annually. Propelled by core values of community, access, excellence, and creativity, MMDG is committed to ongoing equity, diversity, and inclusion work to ensure its programs are welcoming and accessible to all.
Mark Morris Dance Group
3 Lafayette Ave
Brooklyn, NY, NY, 11217
For more information: