This event has already occurred.
All videos are available on YouTube. Stay tuned for additional videos.
2021 Digital Symposium
Wednesday, March 17, 2021, 10:00 a.m. - 9:00 p.m.
Thursday, March 18, 2021, 10:15 a.m. - 7:30 p.m.
Friday, March 19, 2021, 10:15 a.m. - 7:30 p.m.
Saturday, March 20, 2021, 10:15 a.m. - 7:30 p.m.
Whova Digital Conferencing Platform
**For Registered Attendees Only**
All sessions included ASL interpretation and closed captions.
About the 2021 Symposium:
Dance/NYC’s 2021 Symposium focused on reimagining the dance ecology with emphasis on advancing justice, civic engagement, and the whole dance worker. It invited participants to investigate topics of decolonizing dance education, community organizing and social change, governmental advocacy, among others, in the context of a global health crisis and the social justice uprisings of 2020.
As the only gathering of its kind for the dance community in the metropolitan New York City area, the Symposium is a meeting place for the dance field, to exchange ideas, expand networks, sharpen organizational practices, and deepen the inquiry around New York City’s legacy and trajectory of dance-making.
Symposium Programming Committee
The Symposium Programming Committee exists to advise Dance/NYC in the programming and direction of Dance/NYC’s yearly Symposium—and, by extension, further the dance field in NYC.
- Albert Blackstone, Director, MOMEN; Faculty, Broadway Dance Center
- Ami Scherson, Member, Dance/NYC Junior Committee
- Ana "Rokafella" Garcia, Managing Director, Full Circle Souljahs
- Eva Yaa Asantewaa, Senior Director of Artist Development & Curation; Editorial Director, Gibney
- Juan José Escalante, Executive Director, José Limón Foundation
- Julia del Palacio, Director of Strategic Partnerships, Kupferberg Center for the Arts
- Laurel Lawson, Choreographer, Kinetic Light; Artist-Engineer, Rose Tree Productions
- Nelida Tirado, Artistic Director & Teacher of Nelida Tirado Flamenco
- Niya Nicholson, Managing Director, MOVE|NYC| Foundation, Inc.
- Parijat Desai, Artistic Director, Parijata Dance Company
- Remi Harris, Programs Manager, Center for Performance Research
- Sydnie L. Mosley, Artistic Director, Sydnie L. Mosley Dances
- Zavé Martohardjono, Artist
Leadership support is provided by The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation and the Howard Gilman Foundation. The Symposium is also supported, in part, by public funds from the New York City Department of Cultural Affairs, in partnership with the City Council, from the New York State Council on the Arts, with the support of Governor Andrew M. Cuomo and the New York State Legislature, and from the National Endowment for the Arts.
Con Edison is Dance/NYC's 2021 Symposium Lead Corporate Sponsor.
Jody Gottfried Arnhold is Dance/NYC’s 2021 Symposium Lead Dance Advocate. Subsidies for the education and dance worker ticket tiers are made possible by the Arnhold Foundation.